I came across this tutorial for some mermaid tails costumes, and thought they would be perfect for little girls to frolic around in.
I'm always know for tweaking a pattern, and this is what i came up with.
Lots and lots of cutting!
Five down, three more to go!
Close up of the shimmery overlay fabric.
These are not finished yet. I still have to put a waistband on each, make three more and then I'm done. Phew!
For the fabric, I used a cotton poplin as the main fabric in various sea type colours ( no pink here!). I found this shimmery fabric, which reminded me of fish scales, and i overlaid this over the base colour. And to jazz it up a bit, I added some tulle on the fin section. Cute.
I'm so far very happy with the way they have turned out.
I'll update when all of the mermaid tails are completed for a finished photo.